Sunday, September 18, 2011

Trip to Maun

The last few days have been very interesting. On Friday, I had my first huge freak out due to a GIANT spider in my bathroom. I was prepared to squish it when it started running away so quickly I started screaming. Sarah, who thought I was being attacked, rushed over and we spent the next twenty minutes trying to figure out the best way to kill the spider which was now on the ceiling. I’m sure you can just imagine me in a towel in the bathtub holding a broom and Sarah ready with a bottle of raid and a book. Since then, I have found many spiders in my house and I know they are not poisonous and probably won’t even bite me...but they are just so creepy. Last night, I caved and put up my bug net (which I originally bought to prevent malaria..but Ghanzi is not a malaria region) so hopefully that’ll keep the spiders away from my bed.
Yesterday we went with some co-workers to Maun for the day. They were going to do some business there and Sarah and I thought it might be fun to explore. We left at 5 am and I was able to watch my first sunrise in Botswana. It was so different than anything I have seen before. The sky was a dusty pink and orange and then out of nowhere the blood red sun (that I saw before during sunset) began to rise into the sky. You can watch it as it rises because it is not bright yet and it rises so quickly (in less than 10 minutes it is high into the sky). Along the way, again we had to stop for many animals to cross the highway. We also saw a dead horse and donkey on the side of the road. Someone must have hit them, but they were long gone and the vultures had taken claim to them.
After doing some shopping (Maun has much more selection than Ghanzi) and having lunch, Sarah and I decided to go to the Old Bridge. We heard about the bridge from a friend and thought it would be a nice place to spend the afternoon. We were also hoping to find some shade because it is soooo hot here.  Because we had no idea where to go, we asked a taxi to take us to the “Old Bridge.” Luckily, he knew what we were talking about and brought us there for P30 (which is about 4.50 CAN..and it was about a 15 minute drive). 
The Old Bridge was beautiful. Apparently there are crocodiles and hippos in the water, but we didn’t see any. There were lots people fishing and many of them managed to catch quite a few. Sarah and I found a good spot in the shade and were prepared to just relax for the afternoon. However, within a few minutes, we had some guys coming over to us asking us where we are from and inviting us to their lodge. We politely declined and eventually they left. Throughout the day, this type of encounter continued. I think everyone is just trying to be very nice and welcoming, but you also have to be cautious about people’s intentions (the same as you would in Canada). I had my first marriage proposal as well. Two older men walked by and pointed at us, as we were talking to some guys our own age. The one man said that he wanted white wives (yes, plural) and he wanted to take us home. A few minutes later, they came back and wanted pictures with us. He said “I’m going to marry one of you.” I told him I have a boyfriend and he said that was fine, he was okay polygamy. He also said he would just visit me when the boyfriend isn’t there. It doesn’t matter how much you say no or say you have a boyfriend...he really didn’t care. Definitely a strange experience.

We left Maun around 5 pm and started the drive back to Ghanzi. It gets dark here around 6:30 pm and the drive was a little scary because of all the cattle on the road. When we got closer to Ghanzi, there was a foot and mouth checkpoint. Everyone had to get out of the car and soak their shoes into a solution (meant to kill any bacteria). Ghanzi is the beef capital of Botswana so the preventative measures make sense. Along the way, we stopped for a bathroom break and somehow I got an impromptu dance lesson in the middle of the desert (and for anyone who knows me well, you understand how unusual this is). We arrived home at about 9 pm and called it a day (only after killing two more spiders.)
Today, the power is out all day. Apparently a notice went out, but we didn’t hear about. One more day of relaxation before I begin work tomorrow. The prisoners play soccer every Sunday on the field behind my house so I am just sitting on my bed watching them play. I think I am slowly getting used to things here...but I’m sure there is still going to be many more surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment