Saturday, September 24, 2011

Microwaved Goat Meat

Sarah and I have made some local friends here who have been really helpful and stop by often to check up on us and see how things are going. On Friday, they stopped in unexpectedly to see if we wanted to hangout. At first we were going to have people over at our place for braai (which is a barbeque) but plans quickly changed (as they always seem to do here) and we were soon off to the local sports bar, called “Sports Bar Ghanzi.” Bars are much different in Ghanzi from what I gathered -  the main difference is that you can bring in your own drinks (alcohol and non-alcoholic) and drink them without having to actually buy anything at the bar itself. They also sell alcohol like beer and whatnot by the case and it is often cheaper than the “bottle store” (liquor store). After a while at the sports bar, we went to a friend’s house. Since coming to Ghanzi, everyone has asked me “do you like goat meat?”...and I always replied that I have never tried goat meat. Well, that changed on Friday. Our friend’s, Polano (in the blue tank top), father had just had a goat slaughtered and she was very excited to share the meat with us. So they brought the meat and mixed in a whole bunch of spices and she was going to barbeque it. However, plans changed (again) and they decided microwaving would be quicker so that way we could go to the club in Ghanzi. Now, the idea of microwaving any meat is a little sketchy to me...and this being my first time eating goat meat I was definitely a little sceptical. But I decided that this whole experience is all about adventure and I might as well just eat it. To tell you the truth, the meat was actually pretty good (and I didn’t get food poisoning J) and I would definitely try it again (although preferably not microwaved).
A while later, we made our way to the club in Ghanzi. The rest of the night was full of dancing and meeting new people. The forwardness of the men here never ceases to amaze me but I am definitely getting better at brushing it off. I now feel like I have officially been introduced to the night life in Ghanzi and look forward to more adventures like Friday.  This coming Friday is Independence Day here so it is a public holiday and I have the day off of work. I don’t know what the exact plans are yet but everyone is getting very excited for the various celebrations and I’m sure it’ll be another exciting weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment