Monday, October 10, 2011

Election Night!

On Thursday, Ontario had its provincial election. My dad, John Vanthof, was running for MPP of Timiskaming-Cochrane so I was very excited about it. Before I came to Botswana, I was helping with the campaign and I was a little disappointed that I wouldn’t be there on election night. Sarah and I made up for it though by having an election party of our own. We dressed in orange (Sarah did it just for me), wore Canada stickers, and drank orange Fanta (the closest thing here to Orange Crush).
We baked cookies and explained to one of our coworkers how Canadian politics work. Due to the time difference, our election party was happening when people were still voting in Ontario...so we couldn’t really keep track of results. We went to bed and planned on waking up at 3 am to watch the results as they came in.
When I woke up the polls were already coming in. My dad was elected MPP of Timiskaming-Cochrane with over 50% of the vote! All though I couldn’t be home to celebrate with my family, our mini-election party here in Botswana was a lot of fun. Congratulations dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment